Thursday, October 27, 2011

Jackie Geyer

"I think leadership comes from integrity – that you do whatever you ask others to do. I think there are non-obvious ways to lead. Just by providing a good example as a parent, a friend, a neighbor makes it possible for other people to see better ways to do things. Leadership does not need to be a dramatic, fist in the air and trumpets blaring, activity."
~Scott Berkun 



After writing about Hillary Clinton yesterday and not my mother, Jackie Geyer, I felt a little guilty. So here goes. As it is with most families, my mother is the glue that holds our family together. And, as I'm sure is also the case with most families, she is very under appreciated. Despite all of this she is an excellent example of how some of the greatest leaders are great not because of their major accomplishments in the public view but rather the little things they do right every day when no one is looking. 

Raising 3 children full time is no easy chore. Doing it while your husband is overseas or out of the state for days and weeks at a time is even more difficult. Yet somehow my mother managed to do it all without resorting to cussing or unjust punishment. No matter how we felt at the time, I don't think there was ever a time where my brothers or I were ever treated badly because she was stressed or overwhelmed by all of the things that needed to be done. And trust me there was a lot that needed to be done. Driving carpool, packing lunches, coordinating schedules, doing laundry, helping with homework, making dinner, breaking up fights, cleaning up toys...the list goes on and on. Yet she never once broke down or lost her temper. 

In a world where cussing is everywhere, violence is considered humorous on television and dysfunctional families rule reality TV my mother stuck to her morals and never faltered. If there's anything I learned from her it's that no matter how tough you think you have it or how stressful life seems to be, there is never an excuse to take it out on someone else or forget your morals. Great leaders do the little things right, all the time, no exceptions. That's what makes my mom a great leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment